Itching is a tingling or irritation of the skin that causes the continuous desire to scratch. It is an unpleasant sensation that can occur all over the body or localized to a specific area. Itching is a common symptom in consultation Allergology.
Types of pruritus
There are two types of pruritus: generalized or localized.
Generalized pruritus is one that affects most of the body and has many causes.
- Itching or primitive systemic causes: intestinal parasitosis, jaundice, hypothyroidism, kidney failure, iron deficiency, polycythemia vera, lymphomas and some neoplasias
- Allergic causes hives, skin atopy, food allergy, contact allergy and drug allergy
- Side effects of medications
- Dermatological causes psoriasis, eczema, xerosis and scabies, among others
- Physical causes: cold, heat and vibration
- Psychological causes: neurodermatitis, stress, emotions, psychological disorders
The localized itch appears only in a certain body area. There are two locations that are very frequent vulvar itching and anal itching.
Vulvar itching is itching that occurs on the vulva, the lips or the vaginal opening. First of all have to rule out candidiasis or STDs.
Among the most common causes of vulvar itching include:
- Chemical irritants such as detergents, fabric softeners, feminine sprays, ointments, creams, douches, and contraceptive foams or jellies
- Latex Allergy
- Stress can increase vaginal itching and make you more susceptible to infections
- Intestinal parasitosis
- Vulvodynia, which is burning, chronic vulvar itching or irritation
The anal itching refers to itching that is located in the anal area. Its causes can be multiple:
- Systemic diseases: such as diabetes mellitus, leukemia, lymphoma, etc..
- Dermatological diseases among which psoriasis and atopic dermatitis
- Latex Allergy
- Bowel diseases: Crohn's disease as
- Colorectal and anal diseases: internal or external hemorrhoids, rectal prolapse, anal fissures or fistulas
- Psychological factors: stress or anxiety
- Side effect of some drugs
- Fecal or urinary incontinence
Other causes for the occurrence anal pruritus, such as the use of harsh soaps, toilet paper or panty liners áspero.Un excessive sweating or small amounts of feces can also cause irritation and itching.