Symptoms of allergy to animals
In people with allergies to animals, breathing the particles that cause allergies show related rhinoconjunctivitis symptoms and even asthma. Furthermore, continued exposure to the animal may increase the severity of asthma before the cold or exercise. Also, contact with hair, dander or saliva causes itching, hives in the area of skin contact or eyelids, because scratching eyes.
You can also have severe allergic reactions, such as anaphylaxis, because of rodent bites, or through wounds or punctures with needles contaminated with animal products.
Allergy treatment to animals
In Allergology , the treatment of choice for a patient allergic to animals is to avoid direct contact. However, in many cases there are emotional ties that prevent avoid animal. There are also labor obligations, such as those previously mentioned, which also prevent it.
Also, you must carry a thorough housecleaning or places where animals and upholstered furniture, carpets or other tissues, as allergens dander can remain in housing in high concentrations long after.
Moreover, it is worse sustained exposure to intermittent exposure. Family and friends with animals should know the symptoms and allergy patient and avoid bringing the animal home from this.
To the extent possible indirect exposure to animals should be avoided. Also, in schools, if students with allergies to animals, should be deleted the presence of animals in classes and might recommend to other students with pets at home to take clothes that have not been in contact. If people living with the patient work with animals or have been in contact with them, they should shower and change clothes before going home, because, as mentioned above, the particles fly and stick to clothing and The hair.
What to do if you can not avoid direct contact with the animal
If the patient decides not to withdraw the household pet for the strong attachment he feels it, can advise a series of measures to reduce the amount of allergens that produces the animal:
- Avoid touching much the animal and wash your hands afterwards.
- Do not allow the animal to access the bedroom.
- Regularly clean the beds and cushions animals and place them in areas where they have fewer allergic patient.
- Prevent animals sit on sofas and common areas of patient stay.
- Ventilate the house often. air purification systems can also be used.
- Thoroughly clean the housing with vacuums with HEPA filters, especially mattresses, pillows, upholstered furniture and curtains, fabrics where more animal allergens are deposited.
- Clean cats and dogs more frequently than usual, to reduce the amount of accumulated dandruff allergen substances and apply drag loose scales. It is preferred that this process is performed by a non-allergic person.
- Laundry that has been in contact with the animal.
- Convey the animal, two to four times a week, a damp towel.
These measures reduce the amount of allergens, but do not eliminate all symptoms. In cases where symptoms persist and the patient is regularly exposed to the animal to which you are allergic, the possibility of administering immunotherapy would be valued.