The specialists in Otorhinolaryngology state that, after undergoing a tonsillectomy intervention, the patient must have certain precautions during the days after the operation.
What should the patient take into account after a tonsillectomy?
- The patient must rest at home for 3 days. For 10 days, you will not be able to make physical efforts.
- Regarding the feeding, the patient should take a soft and cold diet for 10 days. You will not be able to take foods that can open the scar of the intervention or very hot foods. If the patient feels a very intense pain when eating, you can take an analgesic 20 minutes before each meal.
- Fever : the patient may present a few tenths of fever in the two days after the tonsillectomy.
- You should not worry if you feel an earache , it is normal after this operation.
- If the patient presents whitish secretions in the tonsillar area, you should not worry because instead of an infection, it is the scar of the intervention, which apparently looks like a very large white spot.
- Treatment of antibiotics and analgesics that the doctor administered in the medical discharge.
- Go to the emergency room if the patient has the following alterations:- Bleeding from the mouth or traces of blood in the saliva.- Body temperature above 38º.- Cervical rigidity.