Constantly we hear talk about cholesterol is abundant information about diets for cholesterol remedies, medication… and have spread a series of myths about what to do and what does not, what is good and what is bad. Totally false myths. Next, I will uncover five of the myths about cholesterol and its treatment.
1. Bad cholesterol, or LDL, can be controlled with the red wine. FALSE.
Moderate intake of red wine is associated with an average elevation of 5-10% of the amount of HDL cholesterol, or good cholesterol, but has little effect on LDL.
2. Once I have controlled cholesterol levels to medication, I can suspend. FALSE.
If the amount of cholesterol reaches a level that requires pharmacological treatment, it is because the capacity compensation of the body is overwhelmed and there is genetic predisposition, which is not modified by the medication, so to suspend deep will rise the cholesterol number.
3. I can control my cholesterol number, even above 250 mg / dl of total, making physical exercise. FALSE.
Physical exercise can help improve the amount of HDL - cholesterol and triglycerides, but has less impact on total cholesterol and LDL -c, especially above 250 mg / dl of total, which translates a high probability of hypercholesterolemia familiar.
4. The medication for cholesterol is bad. Me dana liver long term. FALSE.
Like any drug, those shown to lower the amount of cholesterol have side effects, observing especially in the first months, requiring more close monitoring. Then the odds of liver damage are reduced.
5. If the drugs fail to control my cholesterol figure, there is no treatment option. FALSE.
For this group of patients and for those who can not tolerate the drugs, there is therapeutic apheresis, getting a newspaper control cholesterol levels.