The palliative care service at home seeks to alleviate or relieve suffering for seriously ill patients in their own homes thanks to the services of a medical service at home , avoiding transportation and hospital admissions. To make the service quality home health care must be made 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
What are palliative care?
Palliative Care consist of comprehensive care of a patient with advanced disease or end-stage, and his family, with the main objective to prioritize their quality of life. From an interdisciplinary approach, they are serving both physical problems such as family socio-emotional dimension and seeks to facilitate the adaptation process. The basic tools are symptom control, emotional support, and smooth communication and continuity of care. Throughout the process of support autonomy and participation in decision-making it is encouraged.
Palliative care at home
The home is a place that most patients prefer to live this phase of his life, as long as they are well behaved. The type of care is intended to be done with all the guarantees in the natural environment of the patient, home. No hospital technology is needed because the necessary medication to control the symptoms can be managed by the most appropriate and accessible via. It requires an experienced team and well organized. It is important the collaboration of caregivers him at home, they do not require special skills, professional team will guide them.
Benefits of palliative care service at home
- Access to quality care at end of life
- To choose the home as a place to spend the last days
- Power is accompanied by family
- Reduction of the drawbacks of hospitalization or emergency services.
Patients who need palliative care
- People with an oncological disease
- People with chronic advanced disease
Diseases requiring palliative care
- Organ failure in advanced or terminal phase either lung, heart, liver or kidney
- neurodegenerative disease such as dementia, stroke, multiple sclerosis or amyotrophic lateral sclerosis