There are different types of breast implants, according to the physical and functional characteristics of each.
Types of breast implants
According content or filling:
- Silicone implants: they are the most used (90%). It is proven to be the safest material. The texture is soft and similar to normal breast.
- Saline implants, saline. They have the advantage that in case of breakage, the material is resorbed. The disadvantages are that you can deflate, are harder, and give temperature changes and sounds (splash).
According cohesiveness silica gel:
Currently all gels are cohesive to avoid migration in case of breakage. They can be of cohesiveness, low, medium, high or stable. The lower softer and less stable cohesiveness. A more cohesiveness, harder and with less possibility of deformation and leaks in case of rupture, but require a more comprehensive approach, leaving more scars.
Depending on the shape of the breast prosthesis are different options, customized to taste and anatomy of each patient:
- Round: They are the most used and traditional. For each volume there are different profiles: Low, Moderate, High and Ultralto. At higher altitudes smaller diameter implant. They are easier to introduce, and smooth rotation. Sometimes it not gives a natural, especially in the sub glandular plane.
- Anatomical: prostheses are oval shaped, teardrop - shaped or raindrop. You can change its shape in three dimensions, length, width and height (projection). It is said to give a more natural way, so it is increasing its use. However, it has more consistency, so they need a more comprehensive approach, more accurate designs with postoperative more complex as they have the risk of turning, a fact that would distort the result.
According coverage or wrapper. Silicone Cover breast may have a different surface.
- Lisas: Encapsulation have more risk in the plane Subglandular. They can be introduced with less scarring. softer touch. Less incidence of postoperative infections and seromas.
- Textured or roughened: less risk of Encapsulation. more irregular touch. Less risk of displacement.
- Microtextured: More modern. Encapsulation lower risk and better touch.
- Polyurethane: silicone wraps the wrapping. They appeared to reduce the risk of capsule. They not widely used because of their potential effects on organisms.
Considerations breast implants
The FDA approved the use of breast implants silicone gel to increase the size of breasts (increase) in women over 22 years, sy for breast reconstruction (after surgery for breast cancer or other medical conditions) in women of all ages. It also approved the implants for revision surgeries, which correct or improve the result of the original augmentation surgery or reconstruction.
After nearly five years, reports the FDA continue to support the safety and effectiveness of these implants when used properly, but argue that women should fully understand the risks before considering its use.
There are many important things you should consider before undergoing breast augmentation surgery using an implant including personal expectivas and reasons to undergo this procedure:
- Breast implants do not last a lifetime. They will require replacement.
- With the passage of time increases the risk of complications, so they will require reoperations.
- Local complications and more frequent side effects are: capsular contracture, reoperation, implant rupture or alteration. Other complications include folds on the implants, scarring, asymmetry, pain, and infection.
- Many of the changes after leading breast implants can alter the aesthetics and irreversible.
- If the implants are removed without replacing them , changes and deformities occur in natural breasts.
- If implants are carried breasts should be monitored life. Ultrasounds should be performed every few years and in case of doubt break, an MRI.
- If you wear breast implants may have a greater although very low risk for a rare cancer called lymphoma Breast Giant Cell Anaplastic lymphoma (ALCL), around the implant. This may require specific treatment.
The specialist in Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery will help you choose the right one for you.