In recent years, with the development of new technologies we make more use and abuse of electronic display devices (phones, tablets, computers, etc.) that pose an extra effort to our eyes.
Because of this situation presbyopia has been declared as the most common visual problem among the Spaniards and an increasing incidence. Currently it is estimated to affect more than 80% of people over 45 years and the vast majority of those over 65. That is, almost all end up developing eyestrain at some point.
What is presbyopia?
Presbyopia, also known as farsightedness, appears as a result of normal wear the lens, which is the natural lens. With advancing age, especially after 40 or 45 years, this lens decreases its flexibility and becomes rigid. Besides the ciliary muscle responsible for flexing loses accommodation capacity. All this reduces the ability to focus and precludes the right vision "closely".
This type of disease is not a disease, not even a disorder. It is a phenomenon linked to longevity. For example, men and women of the caves did not suffer presbyopia, why? because very few were over 40 years.
Symptoms of eyestrain
This impaired vision is manifested through the impediment to focus on objects 'closely' correctly, usually less than one meter. Therefore adversely affects tasks that require visual accuracy close as reading, sewing, among other way.
If not corrected and effort to try to focus clearly is constant, you may cause symptoms like headache or fatigue and eyestrain, more intense at the end of the day. In case of occurrence of any of these signs specialists recommend going to the eye doctor to undergo a complete scan to confirm the diagnosis.
Risk factors eyestrain
Eyestrain is a proper process of aging, so their main risk factor is age. Still other variables that can accelerate their appearance are as follows:
- The genetics of each person and their own aging.
- The daily activity and overexertion eye with long hours of reading, use of electronic devices, and so on.
- Optical aspects of the eye. Patients with previous myopia tend to develop this condition later than those who are farsighted or emmetropic, ie, those who have never stated glasses.
How to eliminate eyestrain
To eliminate symptoms of presbyopia there are different options. The first is the optical correction with glasses or contact lenses, but this may represent the emergence of other problems or discomfort.
The second option is surgical correction. In this case, each case is studied personalized and different procedures are offered in the market by applying the one that best suits each situation:
- 100% laser technique. This treatment is completely painless and very short, about three minutes per eye. Rejuvenates the vision to see up close without glasses and allows customization of treatment in patients who also suffer from nearsightedness, farsightedness or astigmatism.
- Intraocular lenses. This technique involves the extraction of the lens and implantation, instead of an intraocular lens graduated. Through this method it is possible to finish at once with the farsightedness and cataracts.
- corneal implants. More recently they developed a series of implants which are placed in the thickness of the cornea of one eye and provide near focus.
Note that the eye with eyestrain, is a healthy eye.