The knee prosthesis is one of the most common interventions in orthopedic surgery. As Dr explains. Antonio Pineda Sicilia, one of the most prestigious traumatologists in Andalusia, expert in orthopedic surgery and currently a traumatologist at the Córdoba Club de Fútbol; Knee prostheses are common given the good results in 90% of patients.
The main cause of failure of this treatment is related to the incorrect alignment. To solve this, navigation has appeared on the market, through which the surgeon follows the instructions of a computer, and, more recently, the prostheses with customized-individualized (PSI) templates .
PSI is the most recommended option, since it improves the accuracy and the "golden pattern" is achieved, that is, the neutral alignment. It should be taken into account that axes of more than 3º lead to early loosening of the prosthesis, so it is clear that aligning a prosthesis in an approximate way is not appropriate at present.
The process begins with an NRM that includes the hip, knee and ankle. Then the specialist in Traumatology accesses the images provided by the company of the prosthesis that is going to be implanted in the computer and modifies them if necessary. Finally, the operative plan is approved and the company starts the manufacture of the templates that will fit exclusively in the knee of the patient.
Advantages of the operation with customized templates :
- Correct alignment and positioning.
- Less bleeding and risk of embolism by not using intramedullary guides.
- Smaller incisions and shorter surgery time, leading to lower risk of infection.
- Effective in deformities due to previous fractures or with intramedullary nails.
- No need for transfusion in any of the 176 surgeries we have done with this system.