Treatment of chronic lymphedema disease is for life. However, patients abandon treatment because of the constant care they have to take daily.
After obtaining excellent results for years, at the Physiomedical Institute we propose a protocol in the treatment of lymphedema. It is not enough only with the intensive treatment and the compressive sleeve, the lymphedema is oscillating, reason why we have to plan it of intelligent form.
The main points to consider are:
- At the Instituto Fisiomédico we opted for the Godoy Method, the most effective lymphatic drainage, which achieves reductions of at least half a week.
- Planning in follow-up sessions.
- Lymphoedema patient-therapist control.
- Incorporation of physical activity into life with beneficial exercises.
- Control of BMI (body mass index) and healthy eating.
- Vacation and travel strategy planning.
- Analysis of different types of compression (looking for the most favorable and marking the strategy of compression according to habits).
- Personal coaching of what a patient lymphedema, assimilation and coping of the disease.
- Incorporation of educational workshops on the disease.
Thus, the treatment of lymphedema is not only lymphatic drainage, dressing or compression cuff, but has to have a treatment phase to achieve its normalization. In the Insistuto Fisiomédico the phases are summarized in:
- Intensive phase (according to results a second phase is planned).
- Follow-up control until second intensive phase and incorporation of habits and activities enhancer in the reduction of lymphedema.
- Second intensive phase; more than half of the reduction.
Achieving normalization, what increases is the control of the follow-up by the patient and the therapist, since with a good control the strategy taught during the treatment and awareness of warning signs to control the lymphedema on the part of the patient is fundamental, as well as open communication with the team of therapists to resolve the doubts.
For more information, consult a Physiotherapy specialist .