Venous insufficiency is the cause of the appearance of varicose veins and is clearly harmed by pregnancy. Not only the hormonal changes that occur during pregnancy but the mechanical effect of obstruction to drainage worsen the symptoms and signs of venous insufficiency. To minimize the appearance of discomfort and try to prevent the progression of the disease should focus on compression therapy and hygienic dietary measures. It is important to know that there are numerous options and treatments of varicose veins that adapt to all types of situations. The main objective is to achieve an improvement in the lymphatic and venous drainage by exerting a decreasing compression from the ankles towards the thigh.
It is true that the application of cooling gels helps support the heaviness of the legs , instead there is a false belief that contraindicates socks in situations of venous pathology. Although this is true when we talk about conventional socks, which have a rubber more proximal (knee), because in these cases the sock exerts a compression that hinders the flow. However, the whole family of socks or therapeutic socks of decreasing compression favor drainage since the point of maximum pressure is located at the level of the ankle (malleolar level) and it decreases.
A practical way to deal with a pregnancy when suffering from varicose veins is:
1.- Compressive therapy , for example by:
- Compression sock of Class I and Class II: to wear under pants in more summer periods in which a high average can be distressing.
- Elastic elastic compression Class I or Class II with thigh support through a silicone band that allows a good grip and is independent of the size of the abdomen.
- Elastic pantyhose of pregnant woman who has special support adaptable to abdominal level. In cases that are more comfortable to wear a panty and there is a lot of abdominal heaviness.
- Stockings Panty of perineal, inguinal reinforcement. These types of stockings are very useful in cases of women with varicose veins that develop in the perivulvar or inguinal area and have discomfort in recent months due to the sensation of congestion and pain of the peri-genital varices.
2- Dietary hygienic measures :
- Manual lymphatic drainage or pressotherapy with mechanical systems.
- Moderate exercise taking the ride on the flat as a more balanced activity for 20 to 30 minutes. Intense physical exercise is not especially recommended.
- Hydration abundant both water (intake of 2 liters of water per day) and at the level of the extremities, avoiding dry skin.
3- Complementary treatments:
The role of natural therapies and complementary medicine treatments such as homeopathy is increasingly accepted. The fact that there is no contraindication or harmful effect on the fetus favors the application of homeopathic treatments that seek to minimize the discomfort of heaviness, congestion and pain that arise during pregnancy.
With regard to physical appearance, the only way to try to conceal the existence of varicose veins or varicose veins during pregnancy is to reduce their congestion: by compressive therapy, or by making them. Also in the cosmetic market several products that integrate in their composition protection and hydration factors that make up the skin and exert a screen effect.
After delivery, it is recommended to leave a period of rest to favor the return to normal before performing a sclerotherapy or percutaneous laser treatment. This period is variable but usually it is necessary to wait two to three months before starting any therapy since in most cases the clinical manifestations suffer an involution or progressive improvement.