Botulinum toxin (commonly known as Botox) has always been used in the medical field to treat medical problems associated with muscle spasm. In this regard, he gained prominence as an alternative to surgery in cases of anal fissure in patients with a prior continence impaired.
According to experts in Proctology , the bad press that has the inner side esfintertomía in terms of later incontinence it is absolutely false, as long as this technique is successful, by expert hands, and assess the patient as a whole. Today, treatment for excellence in terms of efficiency, durability and healing is still surgery (sphincterotomy).
However, in patients with pre-existing sphincter alterations (SURGICAL yatrogenia, complicated births with birth trauma or older), it can be a good therapeutic alternative.
Advantages and disadvantages of botulinum toxin into the anal fissure
Advantages of botulinum toxin in anal fissure
- It is reversible, and 6 months after the patient regains his continence and the fissure has healed.
- There is little traumatic, and can be done under sedation and on rounds.
- You can lead a normal life from the day.
- The patient improved rapidly in the first 24-48 hours, which is what it takes to act on medication sphincter spasm.
Disadvantages of botulinum toxin in anal fissure
- The duration of treatment is about 4 months.
- The treatment is expensive, since botulinum toxin and in itself it is and also requires a hospital management.
- Sometimes infections have occurred at the point of infection.
- There have been cases of incontinence of gases during medication.