Acne in adult women

Written by: Dra. Aurora Guerra Tapia
Published: | Updated: 21/11/2018
Edited by: Top Doctors®

45% of women over 25 have signs of acne, percentage decreases from 45. This type of acne is increasingly common and is known as acne adult women.

acne adult woman The adult female acne is characterized by the presence of black or white spots (comedones), papules, pustules, nodules and cysts, with a high proportion of inflammatory lesions affecting the lower third of the face and neck beginning. Most worse at the end of the menstrual cycle.

According to specialists in Dermatology , 80% of women suffer from persistent acne, that is, he extends from adolescence. The remaining 20% ​​demonstrates a late-onset acne, ie, had not had this type of skin lesions above.

 

Causes of acne in adult women

acne photo woman There are different factors that cause the appearance of acne in adult women, among which are:

  • Hormones. More than half of adult women with acne have higher activity of androgen hormones that are evident through alopecia, menstrual disorders, hirsutism (plus hair), obesity, increased cholesterol, triglycerides and insulin resistance .

Acne Hormonal changes are a risk to health, especially for cardiovascular disease and diabetes.

  • The snuff. Over 41% of female smokers between 25 and 50 have acne. In fact, the snuff is an aggravating factor of an existing acne or acne trigger in predisposed individuals, at any age.
  • Genetic .The 50% of patients have a history of long family history of acne.
  • Immunity. There is evidence to show the existence of an exaggerated immune response in the presence of the bacterium P. acnes, which contributes to the development of acne.

 

Treatment of acne in adult women

alopecia woman To treat acne in adult women is necessary for the patient previously specific hormone testing, a blood count, liver function, glucose, lipid profile and coagulation study is conducted.

All this is done with the aim of defining the treatment of the patient, since many of them need systemic treatments such as contraceptives or isotretinoin. Complete treatment antiacnéicas some substances like gel, cream and techniques to remove scars and blemishes.

Keep in mind that acne adult woman is more resistant to treatment than teenagers.

*Translated with Google translator. We apologize for any imperfection

By Dra. Aurora Guerra Tapia
Dermatology

Specialist Medical-Surgical Dermatology and Venereology. He graduated in Medicine and Surgery with the number one in his class and 20 Distinction, also obtained excellent cum laude in the Degree of Doctor of the Faculty of Medicine at the Complutense University of Madrid. He is currently Head of the Dermatology at the Hospital October 12 and Professor of Dermatology at the Complutense University of Madrid.

*Translated with Google translator. We apologize for any imperfection

View Profile

Overall assessment of their patients


TOPDOCTORS utiliza cookies propias y de terceros para facilitar su experiencia como usuario de nuestra web y captar datos estadísticos mediante el análisis de sus datos de navegación. Si usted continúa con la navegación, entendemos que nos ofrece su consentimiento para el uso de cookies. Puede cambiar la configuración de cookies u obtener más información here.