The snuff is a drug that produces a strong addiction, as well as serious disease in all organs of the body. Pulmonary specialists believe that, fortunately, the benefits of quitting are almost immediate and snuff is as easy as pulling the last cigarette.
The snuff, why addictive?
Nicotine acts on the central nervous system neuronal receptors on interfering and modifying different neurotransmitter systems. These receptors on which it acts are present in different brain areas. They are belonging to various neuronal systems, and are interconnected.
Thanks to the Pneumology is known that the pleasurable effects from consumption are closely linked to the stimulation of dopaminergic pathways, with the release of the neurotransmitter dopamine, also called hormone of happiness. These pathways are wholly or partly common to other drugs, such as cocaine, opiates, cannabis and alcohol. That is why withdrawal symptoms (craving, irritability, etc.) occur to stop using snuff.
The consumption of snuff in the organism causes disease in virtually all organ systems. The most important effects are on the cardiovascular system, the respiratory system, the main responsibility of COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) and the development of lung cancer.
However, it is also related to the existence of other diseases, although not involving the severity of the foregoing for lost years of life, can affect the appearance of the subject, affecting their quality of life. In the skin, it can cause dermatitis, at the level of organs, decreased ability to distinguish smells and flavors in the mouth, periodontal diseases such as gingivitis.
The benefits of quitting day
The benefits of phasing out the consumption of snuff are obtained practically from the moment of termination. Even after 20 minutes, blood pressure and heart rate return to normal.
- At 8 hours, nicotine and carbon monoxide in the blood is halved and oxygen back to normal.
- At 24 hours, the carbon monoxide has been removed from the blood and the lungs begin to eliminate cigarette waste.
- After 48 hours there is no nicotine in the body and the sense of smell and taste much better.
- 3 days without smoking and breathing is easier.
- Between 3 and 9 months, improves blood circulation, cough disappears, and the whistling of the chest, lung function improves by more than 10%.
- At 1 year, the risk of a heart attack is halved compared with the risk of a smoker.
- In 10 years, lung cancer is halved compared with the risk of a smoker.
- In 15 years, the risk of a heart attack is equal to that of a nonsmoker.
Smoking during pregnancy, consequences
Maternal consumption of snuff during pregnancy can have different consequences on the health of the future child, in particular increasing the likelihood of becoming ill with respiratory problems or otorhinolaryngological or die prematurely.
The set of alterations that occur in the fetus of smoking pregnant women is known as Syndrome Fetal Snuff, which includes the following effects: decreased birth weight, endocrine disorders in the newborn, DNA mutations in different cell types by the transfer from the mother of many carcinogens in snuff smoke and increased mortality in childhood, as the syndrome of sudden infant death.
Fortunately, if you stop smoking in the first trimester of pregnancy, the risk of infant mortality is similar to that of children of nonsmokers. It is therefore essential to banish smoking is the main measure to all pregnant women.