The laser prostate, also known as green laser, is a minimally invasive surgical treatment used as an alternative to surgery to combat prostatic hyperplasia, a disease that involves the growth of prostate cancer cells without.
Is there any other disease in urology in which the laser can be applied?
On the market different types of lasers. For benign prostate lasers used are the KTP laser (green), thulium laser and holmium laser normally.
The other pathologies Urology where the laser may be employed are: fragmenting stones that produce colic where Holmium laser is applied and for carrying out circumcision by CO2 laser.
Could you explain what this technology?
Photoselective vaporization of the prostate through laser consists of an intervention in which it is inserted via the urethra, the urinary tract of the penis, an instrument the size of a hair by passing laser pulses. These pulsations completely eliminate enlarged prostate tissue. The procedure is performed under epidural anesthesia.
What advantages about surgery?
- Hospital stay: does not exceed 24 hours. Traditional surgeries require stay in hospital between 5 and 8 days.
- No loss of blood: the coagulant effect that includes the laser makes it very suitable for high-risk patients with anticoagulants.
- Immediate relief of symptoms and rapid and painless recovery.
- The need for limited to a few hours probe: traditional lead probe operations require five to eight days.
- cases of incontinence and impotence are considerably reduced.
- Enduring: the results show that patients treated so far have not needed a new intervention. The prostate laser endoscopic surgery significantly minimized the remote possibility of urinary incontinence.
Are there any complications? Is it appropriate for patients of any age?
It is an appropriate surgery for patients with symptoms due to prostate enlargement, such as getting up at night to urinate, get home with great urgency to urinate frequently go to urinate and have not responded to medication indicated. Moreover, there is no age limit to undergo this treatment