Diabetic foot is a tissue ulceration of the foot in diabetes mellitus patients. Leads to ulceration when not been properly treated early, so it is important surveillance foot in diabetic patients. Plastic surgery can address it both preventively and to treat complications of the disease.
Causes and effects of diabetic foot
The causes of the appearance of foot ulcers of diabetic patient or diabetic foot is the nerve damage, called diabetic neuropathy. The nerves are affected in its 3 components:
- Sensitive: it produces alterations in the sensitivity of the foot, leaving him unprotected and making it to charge more and not be aware of the presence of foreign bodies in the shoe or friction produced by it.
- Engine: produces alterations in the form of support planting, losing the normal walking.
- Autonomous: responsible for the appearance of dryness in the foot.
How to prevent the onset of diabetic foot
Daily monitoring of the feet is the most important for the development of lesions preventive measure. In addition, it is necessary to recognize the existing deformities, to treat them before the occurrence of ulcers.
What brings plastic surgery in the treatment of diabetic foot
There are several ways to apply plastic surgery in the treatment of diabetic foot:
- preventive facet. The preemptively can perform drying out of the posterior tibial nerve to improve neuropathy in cases where patients have lost sensation. The intervention is simple and involves the opening of tarsal tunnel where trapped the posterior tibial nerve. The objective is to improve the sensitivity planting.
- Diabetic foot complications. In other applications of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery , complications of diabetic foot treated. It is very important to note that appropriate medical treatment is critical, review by vascular surgery and traumatology before starting any kind of reconstruction. This is the reconstruction of foot ulcers to prevent amputations. For this it is necessary a good vascular study and not rule out any bone infection. When there are no healthy vessels and bone infection, we can raise reconstruction to avoid amputating.
What they are technique and postoperative for diabetic foot reconstruction
To perform reconstruction healthy tissue transplants are performed and well vascularized other locations in the body (usually the thigh), which bind to the arteries and veins of the foot. It is complex microsurgical interventions lasting about 5 hours. If patients are well selected surgery is safe. accurate postoperative UVI one night and then a hospital stay of about 7 days. Then the patient must walk with templates or other orthotics, to improve support. It should be noted that without the exquisite care of the operated foot and proper control of the disease ulcers will be repeated in the short term.