Obesity is a chronic disease that has become the major epidemic of the XXI century. According to the World Health Organization (WHO) continues this way, without changing lifestyle without implementation of emergency measures in the treatment of obesity, Europe will be plunged into a serious crisis of obesity in 2030. Today in Spain 30% of the population suffers from this disease whose anteroom is overweight.
How to tell if you have obesity
The indicator of obesity is the body mass index (BMI). This is calculated with a simple mathematical equation: BMI = kg / m2 (weight divided by height squared).
If the result is 30, it is considered that one is obese and, if over 35 or 40 is considered morbidly obese, so the situation is more serious and the only option is bariatric surgery cure.
Risks of obesity
In an obese person, the risk of other diseases is very high. It is also shown that obese people have a life expectancy 15 years less than non-obese people. The main diseases associated with obesity are:
- Sleep apnea
- Heart problems
- Respiratory insufficiency
- High cholesterol
Candidates for obesity surgery
It is important to go to a specialist in General Surgery and Digestive to assess each case personalized. However, it is common that the following requirements are met:
- People with a BMI above 40
- People with BMIs between 35 and 40 with associated pathologies
Benefits of obesity surgery
Obesity surgery provides excellent results for losing excess weight and regain lost health pathologies associated. In the best expert consultations on obesity surgery, they have achieved results like these:
- Diabetes: 90% of patients stop taking medication. Better outcome in patients with severe obesity and type II diabetes mellitus.
- Sleep apnea: 95% improvement. A year and a half later disappears completely the surgical patient.
- Hypertension: the improvement is clear from the third month of operation. Improves 86% of patients and 70% leave the medication.
- High cholesterol: 70% of patients reduce their medication.
- Osteoarthritis: all patients operated improve six months after surgery obesity.