In recent years the demand for genital aesthetic surgery among women has increased markedly. The reasons are probably two. On the one hand, the current trend of pubic hair removal, with the consequent exposure of the anatomy of the external genitalia. And, on the other hand, the disclosure by the media of the different surgical techniques that treat these anomalies.
The profile of the patients is very broad because, like the rest of the body, the genitals of women change over the years. Pregnancies also have a significant influence on these changes. Thus, the reduction of hypertrophied labia minora is more common in young patients , after the births a narrowing of the dilated vagina can be made, and in more advanced ages treat the atrophy of the labia majora.
We can make a classification of the different techniques that exist in this matter:
- Reduction of labia minora: hypertrophied and darkened lips are the cause of the most frequent intervention in genital aesthetic surgery. It is performed under local anesthesia and on an outpatient basis.
- Reduction of clitoral foreskin : the cutaneous cap covering the clitoris can be reduced at the same time as the previous intervention or isolated.
- Narrowing of the vagina : an excessively wide vagina, especially after childbirth, can be a reason for dissatisfaction during intercourse.
- Increase of labia majora : with age, the fat of the labia majora can atrophy, making them flatter and losing their turgidity.
- Liposuction of the pubis: the presence of an excessively pronounced mount of Venus, composed basically of adipose tissue, is frequent.
Other less common techniques are: reconstruction of the clitoris after ablations, reconstructions of the hymen, implants to increase the sensitivity of the G-spot, etc.. In addition, all these interventions can be carried out in combination or separately.
The interventions are carried out in an operating room, with local anesthesia and with monitored sedation, usually on an outpatient basis. They do not have to decrease sensitivity in this area. On the contrary, when improving their self-esteem, patients usually improve their sexual relations. They are relatively simple techniques for an experienced plastic surgeon, with the rate of complications being very low.