Arthroscopic knee surgery is a visual exploration through easy handling optical systems for diagnostic and therapeutic. This is a minimally invasive technique that has displaced the arthrotomy of the knee.
The first display of knee aforementioned dates back to 1918 by Takagi, a Bircher in 1921 (still using an endoscope), until in the sixties the arthroscope was introduced as instrumental to perform the arthroscopic technique.
At present, specialists in Traumatology perform arthroscopy in nearly all joints, but where else is done in knee and shoulder.
Applications knee arthroscopy
Pathologies to be treated with arthroscopic knee have had extensive development in the last decade thanks to the support and development of technically sophisticated instrumental accessory, which has allowed a first diagnosis time, and then a reparative surgical time.
The condition to be treated with arthroscopy covers all structures that are part of the knee:
- -roturas Menisci - -trasplantes meniscal repair with sutures.
- Ligaments - breaks with creating ligamentous plasty.
- Synovial -biopsias diagnostic purposes and evacuation synovial effusions and synovectomies.
- Cartilage - regenerative treatment for cartilage wear and tear.
- Óseos- repair of femur fractures and intra articular knee.
Advantages of knee arthroscopy
The advantages of the patient with knee arthroscopy are based on:
- Diagnostic reliability of knee pain for radiological diagnostic tests, CT scan ...
- Less postoperative pain at puncture wounds.
- Perform knee movements early.
- Shorter hospital stay.
- Less infection rate.
Recommendations for knee arthroscopy
- Rapid mobilization of the knee in the first 24 hours and, if necessary, temporary immobilization of two to three days, and may move ankle, hip and toes.
- Use two crutches to walk well or for download.
- Either oral or subcutaneous antithrombotic treatment.
- In -Download cartilaginous and ligamentous injuries (not support intervened lower limb) as prescribed by your orthopedic surgeon.
- Assisted rehabilitation to strengthen quadriceps and knee mobility arc win.