Hyaluronic acid is a substance that the body can make itself. It is naturally present in the body part of the connective tissue elements such as cartilage, ligaments, tendons, bones, etc.
Applications of hyaluronic acid
The aim of the infiltrations of hyaluronic acid is to relieve symptoms such as pain and functional disability. Joint, treatments based on this technique (viscosupplementation) have several objectives:
- Work support lubricating joint fluid
- Improve impact absorption capacity of the joint
- Nurturing the internal structures of the knee (cartilage, menisci, ligaments)
- Indirectly reduce inflammation and pain in joints with poor lubricity or loss of articular cartilage
It is derived products developed hyaluronic acid to temporarily replace diseased synovial fluid and restore the rheological properties. Controlled clinical trials have shown that viscosupplementation is a safe treatment that improves pain and function in osteoarthritis for shorter or longer periods, whose duration depends not only wear and elimination of the injected substance, but also stability and different molecular weight of each preparation.
The first to appear, animal, requiring up to five applications a week, for a duration of no more than 4 months. The second generation, with development of synthesis, required only 3 doses. Currently available preparations stability and molecular weight, non-animal, suffering very little degradation and get a residence articular at least 8 weeks. This pharmacokinetic behavior and prolonged stay in the joint is only what makes infiltration per treatment cycle, lasting at least 6 months is necessary.
Recommended application of hyaluronic acid in joints
Generally they benefit most are:
- People with mild to moderate osteoarthritis who have knee pain it difficult for them their daily lives.
- Athletes who have early signs of suffering cartilage and wish to maintain their level of training without discomfort.
- Patients operated by knee injury (menisci, cruciate ligament) that continue despite minor disturbances rehabilitation.
- Patients patellar pathologies (chondropathy / chondromalacia).
What can infiltrate joints hyaluronic acid?
Joints which are usually applied viscosupplementation hip, knee, shoulder and ankle, as they are in the hyaluronic acid is better distributed. But today there are special preparations to infiltrate other smaller joints (joints of the hand or temporomandibular).
Does risks infiltration of hyaluronic acid in the joints?
It is safe products and long experience in use. As side effects: transient pain and / or inflammation and / or leakiness injection site. Usually subsides with ice and some anti-inflammatory. They are only contraindicated in: close skin infections and if there have been previous allergic reactions to similar products. Not recommended em you nant.
For more information see the orthopedist .