3 of 1,000 skiers are injured during skiing. Although the injury rate is lower than in other sports, these are more serious. Knees are the joints that suffer most, 40% of all ski injuries.
Common injuries ski
Sprained medial collateral ligament injury is the most frequent but less severe. It usually occurs when making the "wedge", a basic maneuver to stop doing especially beginners.
However, the more severe the injury of the anterior cruciate ligament, which usually occurs strongest falls. These cases can affect various ligaments and even the menisci. The treatment inevitably involves surgery in all young people and athletes.
Snow injuries are totally different, often affect the upper limbs that are resting on the snow to stop falling. The most common are fractures of wrist and shoulder injuries.
In more serious falls may have spinal injuries and skull that may require hospitalization.
Tips to avoid injuries
Prevention is the best way to reduce the severity of injuries or avoid. Tips:
- Wear appropriate clothing. Skis should be of our size and be adapted to our level. It is essential to bring the well adjusted to the weight and type of ski bindings that are going to practice. Fortunately, most modern materials skiing, with stiffer boots, bindings and skis safer for "carving" shorter injuries have decreased significantly.
- Warm up before skiing. It is important to do some gentle exercise for 10-15 minutes and perform muscle stretching before entering the tracks.
- Do not miss the attention and respect the rules, giving way to those who have less skill.
- Never overestimate the skills or abilities.
- You avoid fatigue, it is recommended not ski more than 4 hours straight and skiing on groomed slopes and taking into tale quality of the snow.
- Wards. Helmet use is widespread in the seasons in recent years, but still not a majority. It must require, especially in children. the use of "wrist" rigid plastic designed to protect and reduce injuries, especially to those who practice snow is also recommended.
Ski season begins and increases the desire to put on the tables. Let's do it sensibly and following some of these recommendations we can avoid a lot of trouble.