Today we talk increasingly egg freezing. This concept is associated with "preservation" of fertility, since the current trend is to delay motherhood and not see if there are other indications in addition to freeze eggs.
Thus, this process uses several techniques to keep the eggs safely for a longer or shorter period and when are to be used, undamaged to be successfully fertilized.
What is egg freezing?
This technique is indicated primarily for two cases:
- Medical use: for patients in whom has been diagnosed with a malignant disease, such as cancer, immune disease, important endometriosis, ovarian cysts, requiring resection of the ovary, or in patients with poor response to ovarian stimulation, requiring multiple stimulations to "bank" and then they can be used. In some of these cases, it is urgent to carry out treatment, as some patients need additional treatment with radiation or chemotherapy.
- "Social" Usage: mainly used for fertility preservation in patients who only want to delay childbearing for various reasons. In these cases, patients should be informed extensively about the possibilities that the process offers.
What is egg freezing?
There are several techniques for freezing, but the safest is vitrification, with which the formation of crystals, which is what prevents damage to the oocyte. This process consists of vitrified embryos through means crop or cryoprotectants, which are stored in containers properly identified and passed to the containers to -196 ° C nitrogen, where they will remain until they are used.
How the patient for egg freezing prepared?
Typically, patients are informed by the specialist in assisted reproduction on the preparation that requires treatment, as it depends on the condition in which it is located.
In cases of preservation of social, no time and can plan the cycle. First, studies of hormones and virology are made, then medication for ovarian stimulation occurs and finally the egg retrieval is. Analyses always begin with the rule.
What is recommended after egg freezing?
Once you have made the egg retrieval, there are a number of tips to follow:
- To rest on the same day extraction
- Not maintain relations in the next four or five days
- Use oral analgesia (pain if)
- Advise the hospital if you have any complications
- Back to the query after you are done with the rule (to check the ovaries)
Does egg freezing involves risks?
The egg retrieval process is an office procedure that requires anesthesia but sedation and like any surgery, has risks both for the process itself as anesthesia. Therefore, patients are informed of everything that can happen before taking any decision and of course before signing the informed consent.