Neuropathic pain is considered that pain initiated or caused by a primary lesion or dysfunction of the nervous system. In Spain, this disease affects 8% of the population, most often over 55 years.
Causes of neuropathic pain
This type of pain may be related to various diseases:
- Diabetic neuropathy
- postherpetic neuralgia
- trigeminal neuralgia
- Multiple sclerosis
- Herpes zoster
- spinal cord injury
Symptoms of neuropathic pain
The main symptoms of neuropathic pain are:
- burning pain (burning or cold)
- Electric shock sensations
- Deficit tenderness
- Allodynia (hypersensitivity and pain at the slightest touch)
Treatment of neuropathic pain
Neuropathic pain can be treated by different techniques:
- Pharmacotherapy: antidepressants, anticonvulsants and opiates. It is the classical treatment in the field of Neurology .
- Medical treatment: peripheral nerve blocks, radiofrequency and botulinum toxin.
- Capsaicin: local application of cream or patch.