Dental Whitening does not leave white teeth forever. If you expose your teeth to foods and drinks with many dyes you will be able to observe how the white of your teeth disappears after the first month after the whitening has finished. With a minimum maintenance you can get it to last between one and three years and even more !
Here are some tips to help you maintain that target that has cost you so much to achieve:
1. Avoid the consumption of foods and beverages that pigments the teeth , such as coffee, tea, coke, artificial juices, red wine, very red fruits (blueberries, cherries, blackberries ...), balsamic vinegar, soy sauce and coloring as curry.
2. If you have to consume any of these drinks, try to use a straw so that the contact of the liquids with the outer area of the teeth is as small as possible.
3. Immediately after eating or drinking this type of food and drink, rinse your mouth or brush your teeth .
Four. Maintains good oral hygiene. Brush your teeth at least twice daily and floss at least once a day to remove all bacterial plaque. Use a whitening paste (once or twice weekly) to remove superficial spots and prevent teeth from yellowing. Use your usual toothpaste the rest of the week.
5. Every half year you can apply at home a whitening dose of memory that you can ask your dentist.
6 Consume crunchy and water-rich foods , such as raw fruits and vegetables (apples, celery, pears, carrots ...) that stimulate salivation and carry food waste. Saliva washes teeth and also neutralizes the acid that causes decay and erodes enamel. Chewing gum without sugar after eating has a similar effect since it also stimulates the secretion of saliva (although it should be remembered that it does not replace tooth brushing).
7 Reduces alcohol intake and consumes more water. Alcohol produces dehydration and decreases the amount of saliva.
8 Try not to smoke tobacco. It is the most coloring element.
9. Energy drinks , apart from containing dyes, can become abrasive for tooth enamel. As we lose enamel, the underlying dentine, which is a yellowish-colored tissue, becomes more transparent.
10 Take special care with antibacterial mouthwashes as they may contain substances that tend to darken teeth if they are used continuously, among which are Chlorhexidine and Cetylpyridinium Chloride.. And always check that they do not contain alcohol !